If ever there was a year that the world would like to forget, it would be 2020, truly an annus horribilis. This was also the year that taught us to be grateful to all those who have been risking their own lives so that the rest of us may remain safe and protected in the pandemic. Our deepest gratitude to every single one of these unsung stars.
Thursday, December 31, 2020
Wednesday, October 14, 2020
It's been a while since we posted an update on the lake. So here goes. As you are aware, BWSSB arrested the inflow of sewage into the lake from 29th July. Since then BBMP has been attempting to strengthen the bund and clear the lake bed of the weeds. However, they are thwarted by the incessant rain. They, and we, are waiting for sunny days. At the same time, there's no denying that the plants are soaking in the rain and growing so lush!
Saturday, August 22, 2020
Saturday, August 15, 2020
Friday, June 19, 2020
Thursday, June 11, 2020
Friday, June 5, 2020
Saturday, May 30, 2020
|House collapse, 28th March 2020|
|The Hindu, 30th March 2020|
|Deccan Herald, Sep 2018|
- We are the first citizens' group to sign an MoU with the BBMP and become official custodians of a lake in Bengaluru.
- We have encouraged others, individuals and RWAs, to become lake warriors.
- With permission from KSPCB filled the lake with treated water from an apartment complex.
- Introduced a low cost water purification model with our Artificial Floating Islands that have since been introduced in some other lakes.
- Installed an aerator fountain in April 2019.
- The once dry periphery of the lake now has rich green cover with trees, shrubs and climbers.
- Since 2010, the lake has attracted over 100 birds (ebird link), insects, reptiles and more.
- Butterflies are swarming at the lake even as we write this.
|Aerial view, January 2020|
|Aerial view, May 2020|
Tuesday, May 26, 2020
|Purple-rumped Sunbird (Pic: Gopinath Subbarao)|
|Plain Tiger (Pic: Aditi Mahesh)|
|Terrapin basking in the sun (Pic: Madhurima)|
Thursday, April 2, 2020
Saturday, March 14, 2020
|Trenches being made in lake bed to drain water|
BWSSB has begun laying pipes for the underground drain. It is slow work since they are drilling deep into and along the ground taking care to ensure that the adjoining houses in the slum are not disturbed. Once they are done, sewage will be diverted into the new drain. At last!
|Underground drain pipes being laid|
We are keeping our fingers crossed for BWSSB and BBMP to work smoothly. If they are able to follow their schedule, the lake will be ready for a new beginning with the monsoon.
As we embark on this new journey, here's an opportunity to join us and share the wonderful experience of bringing the lake back to life once again. What can be greater than serving and connecting with nature? That too, in your neighbourhood?
We need volunteers and funds. Please contribute generously to our ongoing donation drive. You can make your payment by Cheque (favouring 'PNLIT") or by direct remittance. For guidelines, see http://www.
Thursday, March 5, 2020
2) After a see saw of "Will the slum dwellers allow BWSSB to replace the underground pipeline or will they stay the work?" BWSSB has got their act together it seems. They began by digging a chamber in the pathway yesterday and are in the process of concretizing it, as even as I write this. Were they spurred by a report in the Hindu dated 2nd March 2020?
|Orange Trumpet flower|
|Mickey Mouse flower with red sepals|
|Mickey Mouse flower with yellow petals|
Monday, February 17, 2020
Monday, February 3, 2020
When you want something, all the universe conspires in helping you achieve it - goes a saying. And the universe did conspire and out of nowhere came an army soldier to help us!
He was doing his run around the lake, saw a young kid and two ladies going chop chop and getting tired. He politely asked if he can also join in and went about pruning half the deck and more around the area. Seeing him we were also filled with new energy and finished all our tasks.
Turned out the soldier is on leave from his posting in J&K, he is in Bangalore to help his parents settle and has been visiting our lake for his daily runs as he has to keep fit. We had to ask him to stop as it was over 11 a.m.
Salute to the soldier, and to Adarsh and his grandmom, and their helping spirit. May their tribe increase.